Sunday, October 5, 2008

Second Outside Reading

"Tot Called 911 to Slaying Scene, Cop Testifies." CNN. 3 October 2008. CNN.com. 5 October 2008

This article is about the murder of the Steven and Michelle Andrews. Three years ago they were brutally murdered. Their son, two years old at the times, called the police. They know it was him because when the police showed up the boy had a phone in his hand and because they can hear his voice calling out to his mom in the 911 recording. They caught the killer and he's now in court. If convicted guilty he faces life sentence or death. He killed them because his girlfriend was cheating on him with Steven Andrews. This relates to The Odyssey in several ways. The little Andrews boy could be compared to Telemachus. Telemachus is trying to watch out for his mother and help her. The little Andrews boy was the one to call the police to inform them of the murder. Also, in The Odyssey, Agamemnon is killed by his wife for having cheat on her. While Steven's wife didn't kill him, there were still tragic consequences from the situation.

5 comments:

Andrea L. said...

This is a really interesting article. I amazed that a two year old boy could call 911 all by himself! I babysit a two year old, so I know how amazing that is. You made a good connection to the Oddysey. This story does seem like it could be something out of the Odyssey, because it seems unrealistic, even though it is sadly true.

Jessie D said...

Wow. Thats really something, although I have to wonder, if the killer's girlfriend was cheating on him with Steven Andrews, doesn't that mean Steven Andrews was cheating on his wife too? If I was Steven Andrews and my wife and I survived that day with brutal injuries, I would feel horribly responsible for my wife's pain because I feel like it's his fault. Now their children have to live with the fact that BOTH their parents are dead due to one of their father's mistakes.

Spenser W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spenser W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spenser W said...

Wow. Depressing. I read this article and found the story tragic. The boy calling 911 makes me so sad that he was left alone to live while his parents lay dead.
This article also speaks to the vindictive nature of humans. When something, or in this case someone, is "ours" we are very possessive and we will go to extreme lengths to claim what we think is our property.
This also speaks to cheating. I think the article was also warding people from being unfaithful. A look-what-happend-to-them-it-can-happen-to-you kind of message. The article is a real downer as most people could think the deed of killing someone is inconcieveable (brownie points for the vocab use).
I thought your connections to the Odyssey were very well thought out and connected the article and epic very well.
The story is very horrid as we see the true sick potential of what some people will do to show what is theirs.
Oh and thank God this man has been caught. I want to know what can truely possess a man to commit this horror.
Side note: Nice Jessie. I agree with you though that the man was cheating on his wife and was responsible for the outcomes. I'm not justifying his murder in any way but I do feel very bad for the innocent wife.