Tuesday, December 2, 2008

AMS Question

Obviously Joe Keller thought the needs of his family took precedent over the needs of the society. Keller sent out faulty parts which ended up being put into planes and killing 21 pilots in the war. "For you, a business for you!"(Miller 70). Keller's reasoning for sending out the parts and killing those people was to make a future for his son. He thought that as long as he provided for his family and continued the business for his son, it didn't matter. In some ways, Chris put the needs of society before the needs of family. Although he worked at the factory, he wouldn't put his name on it. "Because sometimes I think you're... ashamed of the money"(Miller 38). Deep inside him, Chris knew what his father had done. He didn't want to be associated with that because he didn't believe what his father had done was right. 
I believe that family is very important. They are you support system and help you in your times of need. But, there is a limit to when you should support what they do. What Joe Keller did was wrong. His intentions, making a better life for his son, were good, but his actions were wrong. I would never kill people to save my family if there were other options. Keller didn't have to send out the parts, and although he believed he would lose everything he worked for, he could start over somewhere else instead of killing innocent people. But, when you believe that the society is wrong and it's not harming anyone, I would side with my family if I believed they were right.

3 comments:

Emily Fl. said...

I agree with all of your opinions! They are very wise. I liked your catch on how that Chris never wanted to be socially connected with his father's company. I also can see your point on how what Joe did was wrong and you would not support his actions because of the effect it produced, but would you eventually forgive him like Kate did?

Andrea L. said...

I agree. If hurting other people helps your family, then you shouldn't do it. Especiallly if it is similar to Joe's experience, when he killed people so his son could own the business.

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

Shannon, I really like your first example. I agree with you on what Joe Keller did was wrong. The quote you chose represented the situation very well. I also really like you're second quote. It really shows how Joe believes Chris feels. I also agree with you when you said "I would never kill people to save my family if there are other options". That is very true because why kill other innocent people when there are other situations out where no one dies.